Thursday, January 14, 2016

Back to blogging- Half Marathon Training Week 1

After a lengthy break from updating this blog, I am back at it!  My goal for the new year is to update this once a week (with my running training from each week) and then any other fun life happenings.  I realized that it is a lot harder to make time to sit down and update this as often as I would like. I virtually cannot do it during the time Alex is awake because she is very demanding of my time, as she should be! Plus from approximately 3 PM or whatever time I am home from work is time I play with Alex and when Brandon, Alex and I hang out, eat dinner etc. So basically, I have to work on these after she goes to bed!

I am training for the Platte River 1/2 marathon, in Littleton on April 10th.  I ran 2 half marathons this past fall, one in October, in Colorado Springs and one trail half in November in Highlands Ranch. I did feel like I was close to achieving a PR in this distance (which would be sub 1:42) but the conditions of both of the races made this really difficult to achieve (hello 3000 feet of elevation gain!).  So, I made sure I chose a nice flat race for spring!  I am loosely following Hanson's method for 1/2 marathon (the beginner plan).  The difference between this and what I normally do is that I will try and incorporate their designated speed workouts every week, complete their tempo runs and run 6 days a week!  This is a daunting task! Realistically, I know I won't be able to get this done every week and some weeks I will only run 5 days, but I would rather set my goal higher and reach for it most weeks.  I did no tempo run's this past fall (or ever) and their speed workouts are more intense than I have completed since my high school track and xc days so I'm hoping they really improve my fitness.  Other goals are to do barre/strength workouts 1-3 times a week (depending on the week)

Last week, I already did not meet the mileage (was supposed to be 30 and I switched the speed workout with the one I was supposed to do the next week), but it was a decent first week of training. Also, I am starting my weeks on Saturdays.

Weekly Mileage:  24 Miles

Saturday- 6 miles outside- 8:42 pace(long run, lol)
 I am building my long runs slowly, since I have 15 weeks to get to 13.1!

Sunday- 5 Miles outside- 8:49 pace (easy run)

Monday- 3 Miles outside- 9:05 pace (easy run)

Tuesday- 3 Miles outside, pushing stroller - 9:36 pace (easy run)

Wednesday- 4.2 miles, speed workout on treadmill
1 Mile warmup
5x 800's with 1 min. walking in between each. Average 3:20 pace (anywhere from 3:15-3:30) also I should start the interval when I reach the speed I want instead of at the beginning and I think they would be faster and I wouldn't be running .5 at a slower speed (cheating myself)
2 x 200's all out (38?)
.5 cooldown.

Thursday:
1 Mile warmup
2 Miles Tempo at 7:30 pace
(Should have been a 3 mile tempo run)

Friday:
off day.

No strength workouts this week. :(



No comments:

Post a Comment